Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 22, 2019, 05:51:29 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 358
  • Total Topics: 130
  • Online Today: 6
  • Online Ever: 34
  • (October 07, 2018, 12:51:46 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 2
Total: 2

Author Topic: Canon Repairs and Service  (Read 1637 times)

Michael Taverner

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Canon Repairs and Service
« on: June 17, 2015, 07:27:24 am »
I have been having a problem with my Canon 24-105 lens. The message i was getting was the 01 communication error with a message on the screen advising that the camera could not communicate with the lens. This is an aperture problem and is known to occur with this lens.

There is a Canon Repair Service based in Colchester and I took my lens there yesterday. They checked it and immediately confirmed that was the problem. Cost to repair is 120 plus vat plus postage if applicable. They will fully overhaul and check the lens and return as new. Turn round just over a week.
Here is their website    http://camera-repair.co.uk/
Michael

RJH

• View Profile
Re: Canon Repairs and Service
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2015, 08:07:49 pm »
Very interesting.  Firstly that Colchester has a repair place. 

Secondly I wonder how long you had the lens before the fault appeared?   

Michael Taverner

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2015, 09:33:43 pm »
I am not sure but I would guess I have had it 5 or 6 years and it was second hand when I bought it so I suppose not bad. The chap at the repair depot said that the aperture fault was a known problem with that particular lens.
Michael

RJH

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2015, 05:35:53 pm »
I guess that's not too bad, given its age and you can't be too sure quite how it was treated before.  And as you stated, it is a known issue with this particular lens. 

Found this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRUTrNoDD1M which might show just what they need to do to the lens.  Certainly not a DIY Project.  Also interesting to see just what is packed a lens, its more than just glass these days. 

Michael Taverner

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2015, 09:06:47 am »
I did take a look at that video and decided that I would probably have too many bits left over when I finished the re-assembly so thought it was better to go to the professionals. They will give it a full overhaul and at the same time replace the front lens where the coating had become marked. So taking it as a whole I sure it is the best route. The repair cost is considerably cheaper than a new lens although I believe John Lewis were offering them for around 670.00

Should get it back this week.
Michael

2 Guests, 0 Users

Recent